Carol Anderson

Carol Anderson was born in Palm Springs to desert pioneers Louise and Charles Burket in 1929. After graduating from Palm Springs High School in 1946, she attended Pomona College. On June 12, 1950, she received a B.A. in Psychology and a “Mrs.” from Bob Anderson four hours later. Three children later she earned her elementary school teaching credential in the Ford Foundation program at Claremont Graduate School in 1961, then taught at elementary schools in Upland, CA for nine years. During this time she earned an M.A. in Education from Claremont Graduate School. She returned to Palm Springs in 1970 to teach bi-lingual second grade until 1981. After studying computer science at the California State University in San Bernardino during her final year of teaching, she joined North American Rockwell in Los Angeles as a mainframe computer programmer. In 1984, when personal computers came into the workplace, she was asked to join a new group in Information Technology responsible for integrating this new technology. She was hired the following year by Northrop to perform the same tasks. In 1995 she retired from Northrop and moved back to the desert with husband Ralph Gaskins. Carol has been a life-long volunteer. Since returning to the desert, in addition to Palm Springs Community Concerts Association, she has been active in Palm Springs High School Alumni Association, California Retired Teachers Association, Palm Springs Woman’s Club, Rancho Mirage Woman’s Club, Palm Springs Lions Club, and, most recently, the Palm Springs Historical Society.